Saturday 12 September 2009

Operation Date!!!

Oh my goodness what a busy few days!!! I went up to see the Surgeon and the team to see if they would accept me for the surgery, and they will! They were all so lovely and reassuring, I'm so very excited (and a little nervous).  They explained everything so well, and made sure that all my questions (and my Step-mums) were answered. When they looked at my medical history they said that I should respond really well to this and that it would change my life.

I have to say, that thinking of a life without pain (or a lot less pain) is quite emotional for me. I cant imagine not having pain in my hips, back and knees... YAY!!!

They Weighed me and I am 15 stone 4 Lbs and 162cm high which makes my BMI 36.7
The machine I stepped on also told me my persentage fat...(drum roll please....) 48%!!!!
Quite an eye opener for me I can tell you. Apparently for my age and height between 21-33% fat is acceptable, so maybe not as bad as it sounds. 

I started my pre-op diet the next day. They said that most people with them do a 5 day diet, but if Iwas happy then 10 days will obviously be more helpful. Its actually not too bad. I have 2 shakes for breakfast, a soup for lunch a shake for tea, soup again for dinner then another shake for supper. In between I have to have 5 portions of steamed veg or soft fruit, as well as 1 1/2 litres water.  They said it helps to reduce the liver size which helps the surgeon as he has to move it to one side to get to the stomach! Aswell as this, it helps you get used to the liquid diet that your on after the op.

I'm so excited to have the future to look forward to - a thinner me with less pain, but peoples reactions are making it quite difficult for me. I wish everyone could be happy for me. They have seen me struggle with the pain, the constant hospital visits, the never ending diets and the tears. Why then do people have so much trouble with this?  Its obviously still one of those subjects that people are uncomfortable with. I got asked yesterday how I felt about not eating again... which made me chuckle. It's not that I wont eat again, obviously, but I wont be stuffing myself with plate fulls of roast, chips, steak, cakes and crisps, IN ONE SITTING!!  Food is not what you live for (I understand that now) It is what helps you live, but it shouldnt be the reason for getting up. I know now that the quality of life is the important thing and quality not quantity.

Now, off to get my shake :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment